PA CE Regulations
Are You Prepared for PA Relicensure in 2017?
The biennial renewal of dental licenses in Pennsylvania will occur in March 2017.
- Dentists will need to document proof of attendance of 30 hours of continuing education (between April 1, 2015 and March, 31, 2017). Dental hygienists must document 20 hours of CE, and expanded functions dental auxiliaries (EFDAs) require 10 hours.
- Non-permitholder licensees who maintain offices in which general anesthesia, deep sedation or conscious sedation is administered, shall have completed 5 hours of Board-approved courses related to anesthesia. These 5 hours shall be credited toward the non-permitholder licensee's continuing education requirement under §33.401(a)(1) (relating to credit hour requirements).
- Doctors who hold the following permits should check the State Board's Rules and Regulations for CE requirements: Unrestricted, Restricted Permit 1, Restricted Permit 2.
- Under Act 31 of 2014, dentists, hygienists and EFDAs must complete 2 hours of approved continuing education in child abuse recognition and reporting in the two-year period preceding each license renewal. The 2 hours of child abuse recognition and reporting will count toward the total hours required to renew a dental license. A licensee will not be permitted to renew their license until electronic verification is received from the approved course provider and processed by the Department of State/State Board of Dentistry (SBOD). Processing can take up to 14 days from the date you take the child abuse recognition and reporting CE course. PDA is an approved course provider. The program will be presented as part of PCDS'2017 Liberty Continuing Education Programs on March 22 or visit www.padental.org/ChildAbuseCE for other available programs.
- Keep in mind that the Philadelphia County Dental Society provides yearly transcripts for those who attend any of its sponsored programs. Transcripts for programs presented in 2016 were mailed in December of 2016.
The State Board has issued a list of approved sponsors for continuing education programs. Courses presented by the Philadelphia County Dental Society that meet the above criteria are accepted by the Board. The Society is a participating member of the Academy of General Dentistry National Sponsor Approval Program and ADA CERP.
Keep in mind that the Philadelphia County Dental Society provides yearly transcripts for those who attend any of its sponsored programs. Transcripts for programs presented in 2016 were mailed in December of 2016.
The State Board will conduct random audits of license holders, so, at the Board's request, you must be prepared to provide documentation of attendance at CE programs that you list on your renewal form. If you have not completed the requirements or if you intentionally misrepresent your CE attendance, you may be subject to disciplinary action by the Board.
For complete information about continuing education regulations and licensure renewal, including CE requirements for anesthesia license holders, visit the State Board's Web site at www.dos.state.pa.us On the left-hand column, click on Professional Licensure; when that page comes up, click on Health Related Boards. From that page, you will be able to navigate to any information you need regarding licensure requirements and renewal.
Philadelphia County Dental Society
One Independence Place
241 South 6th Street, Unit #C3101
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Telephone: (215) 925-6050 Fax: (215) 925-6998
General Information, Questions, Comments: email@example.com
©2000-2010 Philadelphia County Dental Society Disclaimer